Sunday, June 1, 2008

REFLECTION (My Early Adolescent)



This was taken during our second Baccalaureate and Commencement Exercises, March 25, 2008. With me on the Photo was our Ulirang Ina Awardee. She was chosen by the screening commetee. The story of this mother was similar to mine. This student was my scholar, giving her full previlige on any school expenses, including uniform and notebooks. Every time I encounter this mother, I was touch by her effort for the education of the later. She is Mrs. Ramla Hadji Salic. I dedicate this story to her and her daughter.


The anguished that boasted in my childhood motivates me to attempt further. On my younger age, I thought that nothing could surpass my agony. But when I advance for my high school, I felt my heart to be enclosing me in loneliness. I missed every one in the family, including my only pet Varique(cat). I could picture my mother working in the farm alone. Besides, on her recent visit, she whined me up on her illness. I begin to worry. I was engulfed by her image especially when she head off home and present an amount with a three layers wrap. I recognized that sum earned scarcely. If I could have the change to reject, I should have done it, but that quantity assisted me in any purpose. Every drop of coin that I expend squeezed my heart. The following nights and days were walls that trapped me.

As to my study, I have to double my effort. I was an academic scholar and my relatives have to take on my daily consumptions only. Our school was only one and a-half kilometer away from their residence. Walking was the usual ceremony early in the morning and afternoon. The distance was not the factor to keep surrender. It was the murmur, the whisper that I became a burden to them. I can not reverse the situation meant for, there was no other means. Thanks to my newly married aunt, on whom extended her patient and treat me genuinely. She taught me how to sew, and it materialized. The same facilitated on my relative needs.

In relation to my socialization, I was at the rear of my classmates and friends. I do not have means to catch the fashion. With my only pair of school uniform, I was provoked in cleanliness. Being careful was the practice to protect the only one. During wash-day, that was every Wednesday, I am free to choose on my blouses ; yellow, green, blue and white whole-dress ( my graduation dress in elementary), and four malong, a green-java-print Batique, yellow and green satin and a printed satin. For me, no other fashioned dress that can bit those mentioned above. The latest fashion suits used by Vilma Santos and Nora Aunor attracted me, though I do not idolize any of them for I prefer Hilda Coronel. I resulted in collecting their pictures and paste them on my old notebooks. Sooner, I lost my interest with that hobby and concentrate instead on my study.

An entirety of three years offered a lesson in life. I returned home because of growing health problem of my mother. I lost my concern in study. My mother has to inspire me instead, I was not convinced. I missed my junior days for financial reasons. When my brother observed the circumstances, he hastened me to study in the following year. I enrolled as senior, free tuition for I pass on the Editorial Test on the school Magazine. My new classmates envy me for being the Editor-in –Chief. My only preparation was to prove to them for being one. Definitely, I showed them the proof. Being a member of 72 graduating class of 74, first Batch of then NCEE (National College Entrance Examinations) and an academic scholar of the nearest University, they did not contradict my status.

Subsequently to our graduation, I packed my personal belongings and prepare for another chapter in my study. This time, we were three who set of for College, my brother and a half-sister. We’re all scholars but we were not accommodated in the dormitory because we came late. There was one extended relatives of ours who offer their boarding house for free. Academically speaking, everything in college was a harrowing experience, especially that I missed my junior. I got problem on mathematics and was demoted on the following year. To offset the changes, I worked as working student to one of the offices in that University. The allowance provided by the University help out our necessity in school. Our father who realized the relevance of our study supported us financially and morally.

Our College life seems sour when our need increases. Our mother was ill that needs continuous medications. We were not given the necessary attention. My undergraduate theses then, was in process. Our Allocation for foods ran short. But, we seem unaffected. We struggled to the very end and graduated together with my brother successfully. Our half-sister did not make it because of early marriage. No single student who studied in the said university, who define a student life to be sweeter, and so we are.

My experiences in life motivated me to love the poor. I like to see how they enjoy a pinch of help that I extended.

No comments: